I read a lot about BI implementations failure. I wrote myself an article about it few months ago. But I have a question: what a BI implementation need to succeed? I ask this question also to the members of Business Intelligence Professionals on LinkedIn.
And after reading almost 400 comments, I was able to make a short list of 5 things that will help a BI implementation process to succeed:
1. The presence of a Good Business Analyst who understands business and who has a zeal for technology.This is a role that can bridge gap between functional experts and IT- BI experts.
2. A Good Dimensional models with flexibility to enhance future requirements. Basically well thought out models expecting future rquirements.
3. Requirements understanding between data modelers, data integrators and reporting people.
4. A proper resource and project management.
5. User friendly, self-help oriented and designed for the users and not for IT experts, because constantly needing an IT person to run SQL, MDX or complex reports is a slow and unproductive process for everyone.
If all the 5 are there, no project will fail... At least this is the experts opinion.